CPEA (Coupling Process of Equatorial Atmosphere)
Grant-in-Aid Scientific Research on Priority Areas CPEA
in collaboration between Japan and Indonesia
Study of Equatorial Convective Activity: Generation and Evolution
Updated on June 11, 2004
The objective of this project is to understand the behavior and mechanisms of convection-origin atmospheric waves as well as the detailed hierarchical structure of equatorial convective activities and couplings between them, through comprehensive observations of equatorial atmosphere utilizing the EAR (Equatorial Atmosphere Radar) and various instruments.
- 2004.06.11: (NEW) Campaign data quick
look images are available.
- 2004.3.10 - 5.9: The first special campaign was conducted in
collaboration with LAPAN, supported by BPPT and BMG
Indonesia. Sonde observations were with FORSGC and COE/Kyoto
University, and also MMS, Malaysia and NEA/MSD, Singapore.
- 2004.2.17-26: X-band Doppler radar was installed at 20-km south of EAR observatory by collaboration with LAPAN.
- 2003.12.4-5: CPEA WS was held at Toyohashi, Aichi where we presented
6 papers on equatorial rainfall characteristics, RASS and X-band Doppler radar.
- 2003.8/5-9: We presented two papers about Rain Drop Size Distribution on 31st Conf. on Radar Meterology$B!%(B
- 2003.7: A test operation of X-band Doppler radar (Hokkaido Univ ILTS) has started in Sapporo$B!%(B
- 2003.5-6: X-band radar magnetron, RM and 2DVDs PC got into truble$B!$(Bbut they were soon recovered through efforts of Drs. Mori, FORSGC, Hashiguchi, RASC, etc$B!%(B
- 2003.5.23: A03/A04 joint meeting of radio-sonde observation during the campaign in next April was held at Tsukuba International conference hall$B!%(B
- 2003.4-5: We presented research paper on rain drop size distribution estimation ultizing EAR and others on 473rd URSI-F Reserch Conferense and 11th MST Rader WS. We also presented a paper on system description at Annual Meeting of Meteorogical Society of Japan in May.
- 2003.3: Equipment maintainance and tests were carried out by Mr. Ohi$B!$(BDrs. Shimomai$B!$(Band Furumoto. Video distrometer (2DVD) was successfully installed. Radiometer and ORG PC repair has finished$B!%(B
- 2003.1.10:Video distrometer adjustment was successful$B!*(BTest observation has started$B!%(B
- 2002.12.24-25$B!'(BAt TRMM PI meeting$B!J(B@NASDA/EORC)$B!$(Bwe has reported the observation system of CPEA-A03 and rainfall observation results at Koto Tabang$B!%(B
- 2002.12.17-18:We presented 8 researh papers (in Japanese) on A3 at CPEA Open Symposium (Kyouto Univ. Uji Campus)$B!%(B
- 2002. At the end of Nov. 2002: X-band magnetron was replaced$B!%(BPower was down slightly but normal observation has been resumed. Radiometer observation has also been resumed even thogh there was an Az driver trouble (de to big effort by FORSGC Dr. Mori).
PPI and CAPPI images are here.
Right diagram shows relation of convective activity around Koto Tabang, Sumatera (0.32degS, 100.32degE, about 850m ASL), effects to upper region of the atmosphere and large scale atmospheric circluation.$B!J(BCourtesy of Dr. Horinouchi, RASC, Kyoto Univ.)
Dept.of Electronic and Control Systems Engineering
Interdisciplinary Faculty of Science and Engineering
Toshiaki Kozu:TEL[0852-32-6258], FAX[0852-32-8909 or 32-6843]
Toyoshi Shimomai$B!'(BTEL[0852-32-6843], FAX[0852-32-8909 or 32-6843]